The Sentinel

• January 14Yearbooks on Sale for $50, buy before the price increases!

• January 14Winter Formal is January 26th! Buy Tickets NOW!

• January 14MLK DAY- No School January 21st

A Response to “A Crisis Of The Soul”

Countess Harris, Co-Editor

President Trump addressed the nation Tuesday night to make his case for building a border wall. He begins by stating that there is a growth in humanitarian and security crisis located at our southern border. “Every day customs and border patrol agent encounter thousands of illegal immigrants trying to enter our country”.

Is this a justifiable reason?  

Donald Trump wants to build a steel barrier that will cover 1,000 miles, including obstacles protecting the rest of the border. His excuse for the barrier, is to protect this country for the vast quantities of illegal drugs that enter our country from the southern border. Why single Mexico out when in 2017, drugs were being smuggled into the United States from our eastern border. Building a barrier at one border will not stop drugs entering this country from our other borders.  

The United States is a welcoming country. Donald Trump will not build a wall around this entire country because that won’t make America welcoming, building a wall in general will not make us a welcoming. He contradicted himself when he addressed the nation. He said, “America proudly welcomes millions of lawful immigrants who enrich our society and contribute to our nation.” He then goes on to say that all Americans are hurt by this migration due to strains of public resources that drives down jobs and wages.

His statements are confusing. Most immigrants willingly came to this country because we are free and for better opportunities. Most of the jobs that immigrants willingly end up getting are the jobs that help build this country. Let’s not forget that we are all immigrants aside from Native Americans. Remember when Europeans willingly came to this country, and after Africans were sold and forced to build this country. The migration should not be considered a strain on our public resources, nor an excuse to why it drives down jobs and wages.

“In the last two years, ICE officers made 266,000 arrests of aliens with criminal records including those charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings.” Trump says, over the past few years thousands of Americans have been brutally killed by those who illegally enter our country. He believes that thousands more will lose their lives if we don’t act now. The truth is, assault, sex crimes and violent killings happen no matter if the offender is American or not.

As of right now the wall has not been officially built. What’s the hold up? Trump has contradicted himself by saying, “Mexico will pay for the cost to build the wall.” If that’s case, then why did he shut down the United State government due to Democrats in Congress refusing his $5.7 billion request to build the wall. “The federal government remains shut down for one reason and one reason only because Democrats will not fund border security.”

Donald Trump will say that immigrants being in this country will hurt Americans. He has said that they drive down jobs. The only thing hurting Americans right now is the government being shut down. Families aren’t able to get their Food Stamps because Donald Trump wants the members of the Democratic party to cave in so that his wall can be built. How long will it take? How long do these American families have to struggle? We shouldn’t be worried about immigrants right now, we should be worried about the people we are hurting due to the shut down.

“This situation could be solved in a 45 minute meeting. I have invited congressional leadership to the White House tomorrow to get this done. Hopefully, we can rise above partisan politics in order to support national security.” He made this statement last week when he addressed the nation. It did not take a 45 minute meeting, because our federal government is still shut down.