The Sentinel

• August 23“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear” ~ George Addair.

• August 17Colin Kaepernick signs with Nike; causes controversy

The Heart of Sierra

Countess Harris

Countess Harris

Our school is full of a great set of teachers and admins. Although there is so many staff here at Sierra, we’d like to acknowledge our ladies in the counseling center. The counselors are Mrs. Little 12th, Ms. Braun 11th, Mrs. Davis 10th and Ms. Sholts 9th. In addition to, our registrar Ms. Cantrell and our new counseling Secretary Mrs. Goytía. They do everything they possibly can to make the year go smoothly.

After talking with your counselor and our secretaries, you may not know exactly what they have to do or go through every day. After asking each counselor how many kids they see on a daily (excluding those who stop them in the hall and at lunch); of course, for each counselor it is different, but Mrs. Little said, “On average I see at least 20. Sometimes more, sometimes less”. I also asked them what about being a counselor they enjoyed the most, Mrs. Davis said, “My favorite part is making a difference. Being that person in a student’s life that helps them recognize their potential”. But don’t think it’s all peaches and cream being a counselor . Being in their position may seem easy but in reality, it takes lots of time, work and effort. What really is the most important part of being a counselor? Ms. Sholts answered, “Following through with your word when you are trying to keep students safe”. Trust me when I tell you that our classes and homework is not as much or as hard as what these ladies handle on a daily, every year. I asked them what the most challenging or difficult thing was about being a counselor, Ms. Braun replied “Balancing everything I need to get done. All billion things”, Mrs. Goytía said, “The most important thing right now is communication with the students.”, “Helping families and students every day”.

Our ladies in counseling don’t often get recognized, but they are a very important part of our school. They are all excited for this school year and can’t wait to get to know each and every student!