The Sentinel

• August 23“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear” ~ George Addair.

• August 17Colin Kaepernick signs with Nike; causes controversy

Just did it?

Demarion Cooks, Reporter

Colin Kaepernick is an American pro football quarterback, who played for the San Francisco 49ers, but is a free agent right now. Back in August 2016, during preseason Kaepernick wanted to raise awareness about police brutality so he decided to remain seated for the National Anthem. By the beginning of September, Kaepernick started kneeling- instead of sitting during national anthem. His protest wasn’t about disrespecting military and he wanted that be known.

By March 2017, Kaepernick would opt out of his contract with the 49ers. In an ongoing lawsuit, Kaepernick is suing the NFL of colluding to keep him unsigned because of his politics. Slowly his former teammates, other pro football athletes, soccer players, high school athletes and more started doing it too. Nike just announced that Colin Kaepernick and many other pro athletes would be helping commemorate the 30th anniversary of the brands iconic slogan “Just do it”. In Colin’s ad it says,“Believe in something even if that means sacrificing everything”. Which is a reference of Colin not being able to play right now due to his protest over police brutality. Most people aren’t happy that Colins is a part of the advertisement, and they’re protesting by burning, selling, trashing or giving away there Nike apparel. Personally speaking, Colin Kaepernick and Nike made the right move because it’s good getting his opinion out there- especially because he’s influencing kids, adults and anyone else viewing to follow what you believe in and stand up for what’s right no matter what. Leave us a comment about what you think?
Burn the gear in protest or stand behind Kaepernick?

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Just did it?”

1. Sandra Melvin on September 21st, 2018 5:52 pm

I understand the kneeling is to protest police brutality. What I don’t agree with is the platform and time he choose to do it. Do it during half time do it during the last two minutes of the game. During the national anthem is NOT the time to do it.
    It may have nothing to do with our military but it shows disrespect to the flag and country we live in. I am a special forces wife who had to have my husband deployed when this all started. I have banned football in my house. The past two years we have had to bury more SF brothers and sisters than I care to remember.
    Support his cause yes, support the way he choose to do it no.

2. Ryan Thompson on September 27th, 2018 9:01 pm

I suggest you spend some time with The Wounded Warrior Project, Those men and women show what true sacrifice is. Most Wounded Warriors I have met are quiet about their stories, but bringing them into speak at Sierra might help students understand the concept of sacrifice.

3. adviser on October 3rd, 2018 10:57 am

That is a great idea!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Just did it?

News

Sierra’s Call to Action- What’s in our water?

• Just did it?

News

Meet Your Sentinel Staff

• Just did it?

Sports

Duke Basketball Living Up to Its Greatness?

• Student Life

Black Hair Magic

• Just did it?

Announcements

Turkey Trot

• Student Life

Thanksgiving Traditions

• Just did it?

Freshman Corner

The College Experience

• Just did it?

News

• Student Life

Creepin’ – Movies for the Season

• Just did it?

Student Life

Spooked

The Student News Site of Sierra High School
Just did it?