Just did it?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just did it?

Demarion Cooks, Reporter

Colin Kaepernick is an American pro football quarterback, who played for the San Francisco 49ers, but is a free agent right now. Back in August 2016, during preseason Kaepernick wanted to raise awareness about police brutality so he decided to remain seated for the National Anthem. By the beginning of September, Kaepernick started kneeling- instead of sitting during national anthem. His protest wasn’t about disrespecting military and he wanted that be known.

By March 2017, Kaepernick would opt out of his contract with the 49ers. In an ongoing lawsuit, Kaepernick is suing the NFL of colluding to keep him unsigned because of his politics. Slowly his former teammates, other pro football athletes, soccer players, high school athletes and more started doing it too. Nike just announced that Colin Kaepernick and many other pro athletes would be helping commemorate the 30th anniversary of the brands iconic slogan “Just do it”. In Colin’s ad it says,“Believe in something even if that means sacrificing everything”. Which is a reference of Colin not being able to play right now due to his protest over police brutality. Most people aren’t happy that Colins is a part of the advertisement, and they’re protesting by burning, selling, trashing or giving away there Nike apparel. Personally speaking, Colin Kaepernick and Nike made the right move because it’s good getting his opinion out there- especially because he’s influencing kids, adults and anyone else viewing to follow what you believe in and stand up for what’s right no matter what. Leave us a comment about what you think?
Burn the gear in protest or stand behind Kaepernick?