The Sentinel

• August 23“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear” ~ George Addair.

• August 17Colin Kaepernick signs with Nike; causes controversy

Thanksgiving Traditions

Dianaliz Cruz, Spanish Editor

During the month of November, everyone cannot wait for Thanksgiving. This holiday is known historically as an annual national holiday marked by religious observances and a traditional meal including turkey. The holiday commemorates a harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621 and is held in the US on the fourth Thursday in November. Religiously Thanksgiving is the expression of gratitude, especially to God.

Even though many people celebrate this holiday, not all of them have the same traditions. Some families get their relatives and/or friends and have a huge dinner with a big turkey and other delicious foods. Other families rather a small turkey, a side, and other desserts. Traditions may vary depending on the family and their cultures. My traditions are an example. Puerto Rican Thanksgivings are religion based and done to thank God for everything they have. During this holiday, Puerto Rican’s start at 6 am; cooking the turkey, rice, fillings, gravies, deserts and getting things ready. Then we meet with the rest of our family and friends and have a variety of rices, desserts, turkeys, hams, and beverages. We all sit together to pray and thank God for our lives and for what we have, and we eat together. To have different point of view on the question “What is your family’s Thanksgiving tradition, I asked Tobias Tuatoo. Tobias said, “In my family our tradition is eating and watching a football game”.

Not all families celebrate the same way. Some love to make a huge dinner and have relatives and friends come over while other like a small, low-key dinner. Whichever one you do is not the importance. The important thing is spending time with family.

Leave us a comment, tell us about your traditions!