The Sentinel

• August 23“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear” ~ George Addair.

• August 17Colin Kaepernick signs with Nike; causes controversy

Duke Basketball Living Up to Its Greatness?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Demarion Cooks

Duke basketball living up to greatness ?

Duke has had of the best teams in college basketball every year. The Duke Blue Devils basketball team represents Duke university in NCAA division 1.This team is 4th all time in wins of any NCAA men’s basketball program. Duke has won 5 NCAA championships many great players on each of those teams , but duke has overall appeared in 11 championship games losing 6 of them.To add onto that duke has been to 16 final fours ,one of the greatest college teams in history. 71 players from Duke have been selected into the NBA draft.

Duke has had 11 players be named the national player of the year. Dukes only had 20 coaches throughout the whole program. But everybody knows  one of the greatest coaches of all time Mike Krzyzewski also known as “coach K” , started his first year at duke in 1980 and is still the  present head coach now. Coach K has a total of  1,027 wins and 279 loses. Coach K also coaches With college basketball just starting back up Duke has signed 4 of the top athletes in the class of 2018. ALL 4 freshman are top 100 espn and mcdonald’s all american players.They signed the number 1 point guard in the class Tre Jones has a big brother Tyus jones who also went to Duke now plays in the NBA for the Minnesota timber wolves. But they also signed the top 3 prospects in their class, number 1 being R.J Barrett, number 2 Zion Williamson and number 3 Cam Reddish.

Having all top 3 prospects go to the same school plus the number 1 point guard has never happened in college basketball ever. All 4 freshman are very good and have NBA potential just from seeing them play in high school, AAU teams and Team USA / Canada they are very skilled athletes and are going to do make it far. This season Duke came ranked in as the number 4th team before the first game which everyone thought was kind of off, but for the first official game of the season Duke played the Kentucky wildcats who were ranked number 2 . The 4 freshman plus the rest of them team had and amazing effort blowing Kentucky out 118 to 84. The 4 freshman outscored Kentucky putting up 89 points all together. The sky is the limit for them, and I say this team will go down as one of Dukes greatest basketball teams of all time and win a NCAA championship this season. So look out for your Blue devils.